willowoak: (Default)
( Feb. 5th, 2009 12:18 am)
I've started a new project tonight. This is a new design I'm creating on the fly. :) I'm calling it "Stars in My Eyes" cowl. It's a cowl (duh!) using the star (or marguerite or daisy) stitch and it's crocheted in the round. This first one is worked with Paint Box yarn (100% wool, aran weight) in the Tandoor colorway.

Here's a couple of WIP photos. That's Usna ignoring the whole thing. Pointedly. :)

I'm about halfway through round 5 here...

This is a close up of the pattern stitch...

I'm not entirely happy with the joins, but overall I think the project is turning out pretty well. And I can try a few different options to see if I can get the joins to be neater.

Next time, maybe I'll try a moebius variation. That could be way cool. And it might eliminate the joining issue.
willowoak: (Default)
( Feb. 5th, 2009 08:45 am)
Frogged the cowl this morning. I decided that I'd be happier working out the joining issue and making something I'm entirely happy with rather than muck about and end up with something that gets me pissy because *I screwed up here.*

So I'll work out the problem and re-start it. I can get do-overs. :)
willowoak: (Default)
( Feb. 5th, 2009 10:18 am)
I did a test on the cowl. I'm just not so happy with how it works when it's worked in the round, so I think that I really have two options here.

I can make it a moebius cowl and work in the round. That really does deal with the issues I was having with the joins for the round because I'm really working in a figure eight. It does mean I have to make it rather larger than my original plan, because the moebius twist eats up *usable* surface area, particularly as you make the cowl wider. I did a test run in cotton yarn and it's shrunk by about 20%-30% as I've worked around it. I'll take a pic later.

Or I can work it flat and then seam it together. That might be the easiest course.

Design dilemma. Must ponder.


willowoak: (Default)
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags